Student Details, Star CBM Tab
On the Student Details page, when the Star CBM tab is selected, you can see your student's Star CBM scores and the student's progress toward his or her current goal.
How to Get to This Page
In the Star Record Book, with the CBM Assessments tab selected, select the name of the student whose information you want to see.
You can use the drop-down lists at the top of the page to view information on different subjects, classes/groups, or students. If you have access to more than one school, you can also choose a different school.
To the right of the drop-down lists, you'll see the student's latest Star and Star CBM scores for the selected subject.
For Star CBM, you'll see the student's latest Star CBM score and the measure it is for; if a benchmark category is available for that measure, you will see the color of the student's category. In the example above, the latest Star CBM score is 46 CPM for Passage Oral Reading. If the student's benchmark category is different from the last test, you'll see an arrow to show whether the category is higher or lower.
For Star Early Literacy and Star Reading scores, you'll see the benchmark category color (and an arrow if it has changed) and the Percentile Rank. Then, you'll see the Scaled Score or Lexile Measure, depending on the scale selected in the class view (on the Latest Tests or Screening Comparison tab). For Star Early Literacy, you'll also see the Literacy Classification. For Star Reading, the Zone of Proximal Development or the Lexile Range will be included, depending on the setting of the Lexile Range preference (Lexile Range is also shown for Star Early Literacy if the preference setting allows it).
For Star Math, you'll see the benchmark category color (and an arrow if it has changed), the Percentile Rank, and the Scaled Score. Then, if the Quantile Measure preference is set to use Quantile Measures for your school, you'll see the Quantile Measure and Quantile Range. For students in grades 1-8 who have taken a Star Math English test, you will also see information about the student's Algebra Readiness that indicates whether students are meeting (or even exceeding) grade-level expectations based on related skills.
Projected scores are also shown for Star Reading, Star Early Literacy, and Star Math. These reflect Renaissance's research-based estimate of what the student's Scaled Score will be by the end of the school year. Based on national data, 50% of a student's academic peers met or exceeded this amount of growth (with peers defined as students in the same grade with a similar score history).
Goal and Goal Chart
If the student has a current goal, you will first see a table with the goal information (start date, end date, goal name, the goal (and grade level for Passage Oral Reading), and the expected weekly growth rate required to meet the goal).
Below the table, you will see a chart like the one above, which shows:
- A yellow intervention line that indicates when the goal (and the teacher's intervention) started.
- All scores for the student's assessments on this measure during the goal period. If benchmarks are available for the measure in the student's grade and the season, the color of each score circle shows you which benchmark category the score is in; if norms/benchmarks are not available, the circles are gray.
Passage Oral Reading assessments are available at different grade levels. When you set a Passage Oral Reading goal, you choose the score that is the starting point for the goal. The grade level of the passage associated with that score determines the grade level of the Passage Oral Reading goal. The chart on this page only shows scores for passages with the grade level used for the goal. Assessments that use passages for other grade levels won't be included. Note that benchmarks are only available for passages at the student's grade level; scores for passages at other grade levels are shown in gray.
- A line that shows the aim line from the original score to the goal.
- A star that represents the goal.
- If there are three or more tests in the goal time period, a black trend line shows the student's trending growth in scores in the goal time period based on the assessments taken so far.
The page also lists the student's assessments. If the student has a goal, a table of the assessments that apply to the goal will be first; after that, you'll see a table of the student's other assessments, including those from previous school years. Note: If the student has had other goals for any measure, you will also see one or more Previous Goal tables.
If the student doesn't have a goal, you'll see one table with all assessments, including those from previous school years.
If recorded audio is available for an assessment, you will see the audio icon () after the activity name. If you view the assessment details, you can listen to the recording (or remove it if you wish).
For each assessment, if you select the next to "View Details" in the Actions column, you have three choices:
- View Details takes you to the assessment report, where you can see the student's results, your notes, and the items that the student answered incorrectly. You can also edit the score if the assessment is from the current school year.
- Deactivate allows you to deactivate an assessment so that the score is not included in the student's records. For deactivated scores, you will see a Reactivate option that you can use to restore the score.
- Transfer Activity allows you to transfer a student's assessment score to another student if the assessment is from the current school year. This is useful if an assessment was accidentally completed under the wrong student's name.
Viewing a PDF/Printing the Student Details
To open a PDF file of the Student Details, or to print the page, select View PDF under the table. Then, using your browser's print options, choose whether to save to a PDF or to select a printer and print a paper copy. In the PDF or printed copy, some items are omitted that are part of the user interface but not part of student data.
Exporting the Student's Scores to a .csv (Comma-Separated Value) File
To export all scores shown for the selected student and subject, select Download CSV at the bottom of the page.
A .csv file named export-StudentDetails.csv will be downloaded to your computer. This file can be opened with spreadsheet programs so that you can use the data in your own reporting. The file includes a row for each of the student's assessments with the following information. You will also see other columns that apply to Star Reading, Star Math, and Star Early Literacy; those columns are empty when you export information for Star CBM.
- client ID (a short form of the name for your Renaissance site)
- school name
- class name
- teacher name (for the class)
- student ID
- student name
- student's grade at the time of the assessment
- activity name - Star Reading CBM Activity Type or Star Math CBM Activity Type
- measure name
- purpose - "Screening" for the recommended screening measure for the student's grade, "Progress Monitoring" if a goal is set for the measure, or "Other" for all other situations
- season - Fall Testing Window, Winter Testing Window, or Sprint Testing Window
- CBM benchmark (if available for the measure and grade) - At/Above Benchmark, On Watch, or Intervention
- correct / minute - equated CPM (correct per minute) score
- percent correct
- Percentile Rank
- decile - for scores with benchmarks only (groups of Percentile Ranks;
PRs of 1-10 = 1,
11-20 = 2,
21-30 = 3,
31-40 = 4,
41-50 = 5,
51-60 = 6,
61-70 = 7,
71-80 = 8,
81-90 = 9,
and 91-100 = 10;
1 is the lowest group of scores, and 10 is highest)
- quartile - for scores with benchmarks only (groups of Percentile Ranks;
PRs of 1-25 = 1,
26-50 = 2,
51-75 = 3,
76-100 - 4;
1 is the lowest group of scores, and 4 is highest)
- time taken (in seconds)
- date and time completed based on UTC time, not local time zones - for example, 2020-12-04T17:57:33.686Z would indicate a test was administered on 12/4/2020 at 12:57 PM EST
- test mode - Online, Mixed Format, or Print
- teacher notes
- equated number correct
- equated number attempted
- attempted per minute
- form ID
- activity ID
- application name (Star CBM Reading or Star CBM Math)
- tested at school? (yes or no, or "unknown" for older assessments that don't have the information)