Transferring Student Data from Site to Site
At times, you may need to transfer students' assessment and quiz data from one Renaissance site to another. For example:
- A student may move into a different district that is also using Renaissance software, and that district may want the student's past records.
- When the schools in a district have separate Renaissance sites, they may need to transfer data each year when an entire grade moves from one school to the next (for example, from elementary school to middle school).
Note: When your schools are sharing the same Renaissance site and students move from school to school, you do not need to follow the steps below. Instead, simply edit the school enrollments for the students to move them to their new school with their previous data.
Transferring student data to your site is a four-step process:
- You request the student data from the administrator of the students' original Renaissance site.
- The administrator of that site finds the students, generates a transfer code, and sends that code back to you.
- You enter the code and wait for the import preview. When the import preview is available, you review and edit the matches with students already on your site.
- After reviewing matches, you import and enroll the students.
Students' Star assessments and Accelerated Reader Quizzes are transferred. The students and data also stay on the original site for reporting.
If the users and enrollments on your Renaissance site are brought over from your Student Information System, the student information and enrollments should still come from that source system. However, you can follow these steps to transfer the Renaissance data for the students. Make sure the students you are transferring are matched to those on your site correctly; if students are not matched, you may need to merge duplicate student records after following these steps.
Who can do this with default user permissions?
District Level Administrators, School Level Administrators
How to get to the Transfer Student Records Page
First, follow these steps to go to the Transfer Student Records page:
- On the Home page, select your name in the upper-right corner. In the drop-down list, select Manage Apps & Users.
- On the next page, select Users.
- On the Users page, select Transfer Student Data.
Requesting Data from Another Site
- On the Transfer Student Data page, make sure the Import Student Data tab is selected.
- At the bottom of the page (under pending and completed imports), you'll see three steps under "How do I request data from another site?". As these steps mention, you will need to find the contact information (especially the email address) for the school or district that the student(s) are transferring from.
- When you have the email address, select View and copy email template under number 2 at the bottom of the page. You will see sample email text for a request. You can copy this text and use it in the email that you will send to the administrator of the site that currently has the data. Select Copy to copy the text; then, paste the text into your email.
This text gives the administrator of the other site the steps to follow to generate a transfer code for the data you are requesting. Since this sample may be either for a single student or an entire grade, and since you might request data from either a school or a district, you will need to change the text in red as needed. Be sure to include the specific student's name or the specific grade you are requesting.
When the administrator has followed the steps below, they will receive a Transfer Code that they can send to you so that you can import the data.
How the Administrator of the Other Site Transfers Requested Data
Note: Only students who are currently enrolled in a school can be transferred.
- On the Transfer Student Data page, select the Transfer Student Data tab.
- Based on the request you received, choose whether you want to transfer data for an entire grade or an individual student.
- Follow the instructions for the choice you made in step 2:
At the bottom of the screen, a banner will open. Select Generate Transfer Code in the banner. (The example below shows an individual student result.)
- If you chose "Whole Grade," use the drop-down lists to choose the school that you want to transfer data from. Then, select the grade. Go on to step 4.
- If you chose "Individual Student," first, use the drop-down list to choose whether to search all students or to search in a specific school, grade, or class or those with a specific teacher. If you choose "School," "Grade," "Teacher," or "Class," use the second drop-down list to choose the school, grade, teacher, or class to search. (You can also type the name of the second item to find it more quickly.) Enter all or part of the student's name. Then, select Search.
In the search results, select the circle next to the specific student's name.
Note: If you want to change a selected student, press Esc on your keyboard to close the banner. When you select another student, the banner will open again.
Select Copy in the message that opens to copy the code; a message will tell you the code has been copied to the clipboard. You can then reply to the email request you received and paste the code into that email so that the other site can import data. Select OK to close the message.
The administrator who requested the data can then follow the instructions below to import the data.
Importing the Data with the Transfer Code
Once you receive a transfer code from the administrator of the other Renaissance site, follow these steps to import the data for the student or grade:
- Go back to the Transfer Student Data page and the Import Student Data tab as described above.
- Copy and paste the code into the Enter Transfer Code field, or type the code. Then, select Import Student Data.
A code cannot be used to transfer student data more than once. If the code has already been used, you may need to request student data again. You cannot use a code on the same site where the code was generated - in that case, the data is already on the site and doesn't need to be transferred.
- You will see the previous district and school for the student(s) whose data can be imported with this code. If this information is correct, select the Enroll students in drop-down list and choose the school that you would like to enroll the students into. Then, select Continue.
If this is not the correct data, select Go Back instead.
- If you chose to import the data, your import will be added to the list of Pending Imports on the page. If you have other pending imports/transfers, your newest transfer will be at the top of the list. The status will show that the software is analyzing the data in preparation for the import preview. The process may take some time depending on how many students you are transferring; you can leave this page and come back later to see if the import preview is ready.
- When the preview is ready, you will see the number of new and matched students under the import preview. New students are those who don't match any student on your site, so they will be transferred as new students. Matched students match a student on your site, so their records will be merged with the matching records on your site.
- Select Review and Match Students to verify that the students you are importing have been matched properly to students who are already on your site.
It is important to review the student matches as described in the next step so that your transferred students' historical Star scores and Accelerated Reader quizzes are matched to the right students on your site.
- The next page lists the students you are transferring and whether they have been matched with students who are already on your Renaissance site. Matching ensures that assessment and quiz history will be attributed to the correct students. For each student who has a match on your site, you will see Matched in the Import As column. For students who don't have matches on your site, you will see New Student in that column.
You can use the search field or the drop-down lists to find specific students by name, by grade, or by matching status.
To verify matches for a Matched student, or to look for a match for a student who doesn't have one (New Student), select Edit in the row for that student. Note: Students who may be especially in need of review are marked with , either because they have been matched but the match is uncertain, or because they have not been matched but your site has some students who may possibly be a match.
After you select Edit, you will go to the Review Student Data page. For Matched students, you will see the match that is selected, and you can select next to the name to see more of the student's information, such as state ID, middle name, and birth date. If you want to match the student to a different record, use the search field or drop-down lists to find that student, check the student, and select Match Student. If you want to remove a match without looking for another, select Create New Student.
For students who have not been matched, you can use the search field or drop-down lists to try to find a matching record, or you can select Create New Student to keep the student unmatched.
To continue without changing the student's match status, select Decide Later. You will either go to the previous page or to the next student, depending on the "Review the next student" check box.
You can check Review the next student to go on to the next student in the list after you choose an option for the current student.
When you return to the page that lists the students, you'll notice that students whose matches you've reviewed have a check mark in the Reviewed column. (If you chose Decide Later, you will not see a check mark.)
- When you're done reviewing students, select < Back at the top of the page that lists the students being transferred.
- Back on the Import Student Data tab of the Transfer Student Data page, when you're satisfied that students have been matched properly, in the list of Pending Imports, select Import Students for the import.
If you decide you do not want to transfer this data, select Cancel Import instead. Then, select Yes, Cancel to confirm that you want to cancel the transfer. If you change your mind later, you can re-enter the transfer code.
- A message will tell you that the transferred student data will be available on your site within 48 hours. (Data is often imported sooner.) The message also reminds you what to do once the import is complete:
- If the student(s) have not been on your Renaissance site before, you will need to enroll the student(s) in their classes.
- If the student(s) have already been on your site, and they were not matched to their record during transfer, you will need to merge the new student records with the existing student records on your site.
Select OK to close the message. When the import is complete, it will be listed in the Completed Imports table at the bottom of the page. See the next section for more information.
The table at the bottom of the page lists completed transfers/imports.
For each transfer you have performed, you will see the following:
- Requesting School: This is the school that the student(s) are being transferred into.
- Date: The date of the transfer.
- Students: If you transferred a single student, this will show you the student's name. If you transferred a grade, you'll see which grade was transferred.
- Status: This column tells you whether student information was transferred/imported successfully. Data may be "imported with no changes," or it may be "imported with changes" because of conflicts with information for students that are already on your site (such as an ID). For grade transfers, you may see that some of the students were imported, but not all - in the fifth row of the example above, 98 of 103 students were imported because of conflicts with information already on your site.
If you see "Import Failed" in the Status column, select the message. In the window that opens, you will see a reference code; contact Renaissance Support at email@example.com and provide the reference code to get assistance.
- Actions: For successful transfers, select View Import Log to open or save a log of the transfer. (The log is a .csv file, which can be opened with spreadsheet programs.) The log provides more information about each of the students imported, including whether the import succeeded and if so, whether changes were made (SourceImportStatus). Changes may sometimes be made because of conflicts with information for existing students on your site.
The ScoreImportStatus column shows whether all or some of each student's Star and AR scores were imported.
After each student's first and last name and grade, the file also provides the following information as it was on the source site and as it is on the destination site (this site) after transfer: student ID, state ID, user name, and email address. Use these columns to identify students and any changes between the source data from the original site and the destination data on your site.