Restricting Student Access to Renaissance Products by IP Address
By following the steps below, you can prevent students from taking quizzes or assessments from home except in the products that you allow. Students will only be able to take quizzes and assessments from computers in your school or district. These restrictions apply to students only, not teachers, staff members, or administrators.
If you have previously set up restrictions, and you are now trying to allow Accelerated Reader quizzing from home you will only need to uncheck the Accelerated Reader box and select Save Changes. (See step 5 below.)
Who can do this with default user permissions?
Server Administrators, District Level Administrators
- On the Home page, select your name in the upper-right corner. In the drop-down list, select Manage Apps & Users.
- Select Product Administration.
- Under Access and Security, select Security Options.
The Set Security Options page allows you to:
IP Restrictions are set using the external IP address or addresses that identify the computer network at your school. Students will be able to use computers in that network to access any product available to them.
- Set the IP addresses of computers that should have no restrictions (such as those in your schools or that belong to your school network). On other computers, student work in some products will be restricted.
- Select the products that the restrictions apply to.
To enter external IP addresses, type them in the field. You can specify:
- one external IP address (one computer network)
- a range of external IP addresses (for multiple computer networks in your school or district)
- one or more subnet ranges (external IP addresses that begin with the same numbers)
See the examples and consult your technology/computer coordinator or network administrator for guidance as you set these restrictions.
Just above the field for entering the addresses, a message will show you the external IP address that applies to the computer you are using now. If it is not in the list, an Add This Computer's IP Address button will be available; select it to add this address to the list. If this computer's external IP address is already in the list, the message will tell you that.
Below the IP address field, you will see a list of the products that you can apply restrictions to. Students who log in using computers that are not in the address list on this page will not be able to use the products that are checked. This prevents students from taking Star assessments or Accelerated Reader quizzes at home. Notice that checked boxes are marked "Restricted," while those that are not checked are marked "Unrestricted."
- Star 360: If this box is checked, students on restricted computers cannot take Star assessments, including Star Reading, Star Math, Star Early Literacy, Star Reading Spanish, Star Math Spanish, and Star Early Literacy Spanish. Those products will not be shown on the student's Home page on restricted computers.
- Star Custom: If this box is checked, students on restricted computers will not be able to access Star Custom assessments. Those assessments will not be in the Assignments list on the student's Home page.
- Accelerated Reader: If this box is checked, students on restricted computers will not see Accelerated Reader on their Home page, and they will not be able to take quizzes or view progress. (Note: Students and parents using Renaissance Home Connect will still be able to see progress from home.) Students also will not see Accelerated Reader Quizzes or assignments in their Assignments list.
When you have finished entering the IP addresses and selecting the products that should observe the restrictions, select Save Changes.
The following products are always available to students on their Home page, regardless of the restrictions that you set on this page:
- myON (if it is normally shown on your Renaissance Home page)
- Accelerated Math Instructional Practice assignments (shown in the Assignments list)
- Products found when students select Math and Other Apps, including Accelerated Math Live, Accelerated Math 2.0, English in a Flash, and MathFacts in a Flash