Star CBM Data Insights - Individual Student Benchmark Transitions
Who can do this with default user permissions?
District Level Administrators, District Dashboard Owners, District Staff, School Level Administrators, School Staff, Teachers
On this page, you can see information for a group of students that you selected on the Benchmark Transitions page - either students in a specific benchmark group in the starting screening window or students who transitioned to a specific group in the ending screening window.
How to Get to This Page
- First, go to the Star CBM Data Insights page using one of two methods:
Then, for either the Reading or Math % Moving Up tile, select Explore the data.
- On the Home page, select Star CBM Reading or Star CBM Math; then, select Data Insights from the menu that opens.
- On the Home page, select Reports; then, select Star CBM Data Insights.
Select the number of students in a specific category to see detailed information for those students. You can select students in a specific category in the starting screening window or students who transitioned to a specific category in the ending screening window.
Star CBM screening measures have three benchmark categories available: At/Above Benchmark (green), On Watch (blue), and Intervention (red). Scores within the At/Above Benchmark category are considered proficient. For detailed information about the scores that fall into each benchmark category for different measures and grades, see Star CBM Score and Benchmark Tables.
Using the Table
The table lists the students in the group that you selected on the Benchmark Transitions page - the heading above the table will remind you which students you've chosen to see.
For each student, the table includes:
- the student's name
- grade level (GL)
- the student's scores for the starting and ending screening windows that you selected on the previous page, including:
- Correct Per Minute score with a circle showing the benchmark category
- Percentile Rank score
- the screening measure that the student was tested on (Measure names are abbreviated; see the the tip below for more information about the screening measures.)
Each year, Star CBM includes three screening windows, whose dates cannot be changed:
- Fall Starts on the school year start date or August 1 (whichever is earlier) and runs through November 30.
- Winter is from December 1 through March 31.
- Spring begins April 1 and runs through the end of the school year or July 31.
The recommended screening measure for each student is based on the student's grade; see the table below. Since Proficiency Rate is based on the scores on the recommended measures for all students, different measures are included in the rate based on the grades of the students in your school(s).
||Reading: Recommended Screening Measure
||Math: Recommended Screening Measure
||Letter Sounds (LS)
||Numeral Recognition (NR)
||Passage Oral Reading - Grade 1 (POR-G1)
||Quantity Comparison (QC)
||Passage Oral Reading - Grade 2 (POR-G2)
||Addition to 20 (A20)
||Passage Oral Reading - Grade 3 (POR-G3)
||Mixed Addition and Subtraction (MAS)
||Passage Oral Reading - Grade 4 (POR-G4)
||Passage Oral Reading - Grade 5 (POR-G5)
||Passage Oral Reading - Grade 6 (POR-G6)
- the school
- the class
Note: Students who are in more than one class may be listed more than once if all of their classes were included in your previous selections.
You can sort the table by any column by selecting the column heading. Select the heading again to switch between ascending and descending order.
To see more information for a specific student, including that students' current goal (if any) and scores for other Star CBM assessments that student has taken, select the student's name. You will go to the Student Details page for Star CBM.
Viewing a Printable PDF or Downloading Data for Spreadsheet Programs
Do you want to print or save the data? Select Print or Save; then, using the options in the window that opens, print the page or save it to a PDF file.
To download a file suitable for spreadsheet programs (.csv), select Download Data. The file will include a row for each student with the following information:
- the student name
- the student's grade
- information for the starting screening window and the ending screening window, including:
- the screening windows used as the starting window and ending window
- the Percentile Rank scores for each window
- the Correct Per Minute scores for each window
- the screening measures completed (abbreviated)
- the school name
- the class name
To go back to the Benchmark Proficiency page, select Star CBM Reading - Benchmark Transitions at the top of the page.