Star CBM Data Insights - Benchmark Transitions
Who can do this with default user permissions?
District Level Administrators, District Dashboard Owners, District Staff, School Level Administrators, School Staff, Teachers
On this page, you can see how students' benchmark categories have changed on the recommended screening measure from one screening window to another.
Each year, Star CBM includes three screening windows, whose dates cannot be changed:
- Fall Starts on the school year start date or August 1 (whichever is earlier) and runs through November 30.
- Winter is from December 1 through March 31.
- Spring begins April 1 and runs through the end of the school year or July 31.
The recommended screening measure for each student is based on the student's grade; see the table below. Since Proficiency Rate is based on the scores on the recommended measures for all students, different measures are included in the rate based on the grades of the students in your school(s).
||Reading: Recommended Screening Measure
||Math: Recommended Screening Measure
||Passage Oral Reading (Grade 1)
||Passage Oral Reading (Grade 2)
||Addition to 20
||Passage Oral Reading (Grade 3)
||Mixed Addition and Subtraction
||Passage Oral Reading (Grade 4)
||Passage Oral Reading (Grade 5)
||Passage Oral Reading (Grade 6)
How to Get to This Page
- First, go to the Star CBM Data Insights page using one of two methods:
Then, on either the Reading or Math % Moving Up tile, select Explore the data.
- On the Home page, select Star CBM Reading or Star CBM Math; then, select Data Insights from the menu that opens.
- On the Home page, select Reports; then, select Star CBM Data Insights.
Choosing the Data to View
First, choose the data that you want to view using the drop-down lists at the top of the page.
- School: If you have access to more than one school, choose "All Schools" to see data from all of your schools or choose a single school. If you only have access to one school, you will see your school name.
- Class or Group: If you choose a single school, you can choose to see data from all classes that you have access to or from a single class or group.
- Grade: Choose "All Grades" or a single grade (from K to 6 for reading or K to 3 for math).
- Screening windows: Choose the screening windows (Fall, Winter, or Spring) to compare using the From and To drop-down lists. You can choose screening windows from this school year and the previous school year. You can choose the same window in both drop-down lists if you only want to see results from that window.
After you make changes, select Update below the drop-down lists to show the data.
How Recent Is the Data?
To the right of the School and/or Class or Group drop-down list(s), you'll see the date and time when data was last updated. When you're viewing data for all schools, the data is updated nightly. When you're viewing data for individual classes, the data is current.
Viewing the Benchmark Transitions for the Selected Students and Windows
Next, you'll see how many students scored in each benchmark category in the first screening window you selected (From) and the benchmark categories they scored in within the second screening window you selected (To). Benchmark scores are scores on the recommended screening measure for each student; students in different grades have different recommended screening measures.
In the example below, 23 students (76.7%) scored in the At/Above Benchmark category in Fall 2020. Of those students, 13 scored in the At/Above Benchmark category again in Winter 2020, while 2 scored in the On Watch category and 8 scored in Intervention.
Of the students who started in the On Watch category in Fall 2020 (2 students), in Winter 2020, 1 scored in the At/Above Benchmark category and 1 scored in the Intervention category. Of those who scored in Intervention in Fall 2020 (5 students), in Winter 2020, 3 scored in the At/Above Benchmark category and 2 scored in the Intervention category.
To see a list of students in any benchmark category in either screening window, select the number of students. For each student in the selected category, you'll see their grade, their scores in the first screening window, their scores in the second screening window, their school, and their class. For more information, see Star CBM Data Insights - Individual Student Benchmark Transitions.
Viewing a Printable PDF or Downloading Data for Spreadsheet Programs
Do you want to print or save the data? Select Print or Save; then, using the options in the window that opens, print the page or save it to a PDF file.
To download a file suitable for spreadsheet programs (.csv), select Download Data. The file will include a row for each benchmark category; each row will include:
- the school name (or "All Schools")
- the class or group or "All Classes" (if you have chosen a single school)
- the grade (or "All Grades")
- the number of students in that benchmark category in the starting screening window
- the number of students who moved from that benchmark category to At/Above Benchmark, On Watch, and Intervention in the ending screening window
To go back to the main Data Insights page to see other information, select All Data at the top of the page.