Star CBM Data Insights - Benchmark Proficiency
Who can do this with default user permissions?
District Level Administrators, District Dashboard Owners, District Staff, School Level Administrators, School Staff, Teachers
On this page, you can see the percentage of students who have scored in each Star CBM benchmark category on the recommended screening measure for the current screening window.
Each year, Star CBM includes three screening windows, whose dates cannot be changed:
- Fall Starts on the school year start date or August 1 (whichever is earlier) and runs through November 30.
- Winter is from December 1 through March 31.
- Spring begins April 1 and runs through the end of the school year or July 31.
The recommended screening measure for each student is based on the student's grade; see the table below. Since Proficiency Rate is based on the scores on the recommended measures for all students, different measures are included in the rate based on the grades of the students in your school(s).
||Reading: Recommended Screening Measure
||Math: Recommended Screening Measure
||Passage Oral Reading (Grade 1)
||Passage Oral Reading (Grade 2)
||Addition to 20
||Passage Oral Reading (Grade 3)
||Mixed Addition and Subtraction
||Passage Oral Reading (Grade 4)
||Passage Oral Reading (Grade 5)
||Passage Oral Reading (Grade 6)
How to Get to This Page
- First, go to the Star CBM Data Insights page using one of two methods:
Then, for either the Reading or Math Proficiency Rate, select Explore the data.
- On the Home page, select Star CBM Reading or Star CBM Math; then, select Data Insights from the menu that opens.
- On the Home page, select Reports; then, select Star CBM Data Insights.
Choosing the Data to View
First, choose the data that you want to view using the drop-down lists at the top of the page.
- School: If you have access to more than one school, choose "All Schools" to see data from all of your schools or choose a single school. If you only have access to one school, you will see your school name.
- Class or Group: If you choose a single school, you can choose to see data from all classes that you have access to or from a single class or group.
- Grade: Choose "All Grades" or a single grade (from K to 6).
- Screening windows: Choose the screening windows (Fall, Winter, or Spring) to compare using the From and To drop-down lists. You can choose screening windows from this school year and the previous school year. You can choose the same window in both drop-down lists if you only want to see results from that window.
After you make changes, select Update below the drop-down lists to show the data.
If you select screening windows from different school years, a note will show you whether you are viewing data from the same students from one year to the next (the students who meet the selected criteria this year) or all students in the district from year to year. The school, class, and grade selections determine this.
How Recent Is the Data?
To the right of the School and/or Class or Group drop-down list(s), you'll see the date and time when data was last updated. When you're viewing data for all schools, the data is updated nightly. When you're viewing data for individual classes, the data is current.
Viewing the Number of Students in the Benchmark Categories
First, you'll see bar graphs showing the percentage of your students whose screening scores are in each of the three benchmark categories.
Star CBM screening measures have three benchmark categories available: At/Above Benchmark (green), On Watch (blue), and Intervention (red). Scores within the At/Above Benchmark category are considered proficient. In the example below, 72% of the students had scores in the At/Above Benchmark category in the Fall window; that increased to 76% in the Winter window. The percentage of students in On Watch went down from 14% to 3%. The percentage of students whose scores were in the Intervention category increased from 14% to 21%.
If you select one of the sections of a bar graph, you can see more information, including the season name, benchmark category name, the criteria for that category in terms of the Percentile Rank score, and the number of students in that category compared to the total. To see which students are in that category, select View student list; for more about viewing the student list, see Star CBM Data Insights - Students in a Benchmark Category.
Below the graphs, a table will show you how many students scored in each benchmark category within each window. To see those students, select the number. For more about viewing the list of students, see Star CBM Data Insights - Students in a Benchmark Category.
Viewing a Printable PDF or Downloading Data for Spreadsheet Programs
Do you want to print or save the data? Select Print or Save; then, using the options in the window that opens, print the page or save it to a PDF file.
To download a file suitable for spreadsheet programs (.csv), select Download Data. The file will include a row for each screening window; each row will include the school name (or "All Schools"), the class or group or "All Classes" (if you have chosen a single school), the season/screening window, and the number of students whose scores are in each benchmark category.
To go back to the main Data Insights page to see other information, select All Data at the top of the page.