Star Record Book (Instructional Planning—Recommended Skills Page)
How do I get to this page?
- Log in to Renaissance and access the Star Record Book.
- On the Latest Assessments tab, use the Subject, School, and Class or Group drop-down lists (if necessary) to view a specific set of students.
- Above the table of student assessment data, select View Recommended Skills.
- After creating temporary groups of students, select View Skills.
Who can do this with default user permissions?
District Level Administrators, District Staff, School Level Administrators, School Staff, Teachers
- The top of the page shows you which students and assessments you are viewing skills for and the number of groupings. If you want to change any of these, or change the temporary groupings, select Edit to re-open the slide-out window where you can edit the selected options.
- Each group of students (Grouping 1, Grouping 2, etc.) will have its own list of skills, chosen based on the median score of all the students in the group. (For Star CBM assessments, the skills—which are based on the measure, not the students' scores—are for all students in the "Included" group; the name of the group will be the selected measure.) The names of the students, their median score, and the number of students in the group are shown at the top of the list; if there are a large number of students in a group, only the first few names will be shown, followed by a link to show or hide the remaining names.
- The recommended skills for each group are shown in the preferred teaching order. Focus skills are indicated by an icon to the right of the skill name or description: . Use the arrow on the right to expand or collapse the list of skills.
- Select the name of a skill to open a slide-out window with more information about that skill. You can use the < Prev Skill and Next Skill > links at the top to move between skills in the list; scroll to the bottom of the window to print or save the skill info. Use the Close button in the upper-right corner to close the slide-out.
- You can make a number of changes to the skill display by selecting Edit Skill View above the first list of skills. After making selections in the pop-up window, select Apply for your changes to take effect, or Cancel to close the pop-up without saving your changes.
- Select Show short skill names (less detail) to shorten the names of the displayed skills. For example: "Synthesize ideas from close reading of literary texts and secondary sources to draw complex conclusions about text meaning and/or significance" would be shortened to "Synthesize ideas to draw complex conclusions".
- Select Only show Focus Skills to only show focus skills in the list.
- Skills from an English assessment are always shown in English; skills from a Spanish assessment can be displayed in English or Spanish (this does not apply to Star CBM assessments, which are in English only). Select the language you prefer under "View Spanish Skills in". Note: If you are viewing skills from a Spanish assessment in Spanish, the language in this pop-up window will also change:
- Some skills are transferable (universal skills that transfer across English and Spanish, as well as other languages). To have these skills highlighted with the icon, select Identify English/Spanish Transferable Skills.
- To print or save the list of recommended skills, select Print or Save at the bottom of the page.
This opens the print dialog, where you can choose to print directly to a printer or to use an option that allows you to save to a PDF. Note that if you have a list collapsed on the screen, it will also be collapsed in the PDF; make sure you have all the lists expanded that you want included in the PDF.