Star Record Book (Latest Tests Tab)
How do I get to this page?
- Log in to Renaissance.
- On the Home page, select Star Reading, Star Early Literacy, Star Math, or Star Spanish.
- In the drop-down list, select Record Book.
You can also get to the Record Book by selecting Star Record Book on the Star / Assessment tab of the Reports page, under “Screening and Instructional Planning.”
Who can do this with default user permissions?
District Level Administrators, District Staff, School Level Administrators, School Staff, Teachers
The Latest Tests Tab of the Star Record book shows scores and other data for the following Star assessments:
- Star Reading (English, Spanish, and Third Grade Reading Proficiency)
- Star Early Literacy (English and Spanish)
- Star Math (English, Spanish, Algebra, and Geometry)
- Star CBM Reading
- Star CBM Math
Both Enterprise and Progress Monitoring tests can appear in the Record Book; the latter have an asterisk (*) added to the test type in the table (see below).
You can select the name of a specific student in the Star Record Book to see the Student Details page, which shows all historical Star test data for the selected student.
Use the links at the top of the page to go to the following related sections:
- View Reports: Takes you to the Star / Assessment tab of the Reports page, where you can run additional reports relating to students' Star assessments.
- Manage Groups: Takes you to the Manage Groups page, where you can create groups of students for reporting, instructional planning, and intervention purposes.
- Manage Goals & Benchmarks: Takes you to the Goals & Benchmarks page, where you can set goals for students and view and edit benchmarks. (Note: Setting Star CBM goals is done from the CBM Assessments tab.)
- Plan Instruction: Takes you to Planner, where you can create lesson plans and assign assessments to students.
- By default, the Star Record Book opens on the Latest Tests tab—select the Screening Comparison tab to compare screening results, or the CBM Assessments tab to view data specific to CBM assessments.
Use the drop-down lists in the upper-left corner to choose which students you want to view in the Star Record Book. The available lists will change depending on your user permissions and the schools you have access to:
Note that if you only have a single option available (for example, if you're a school administrator assigned to only one school, or you're a teacher who only teaches a single subject), the drop-down lists will not be active—your available option will automatically be "locked in" for you.
- Select the subject (either Reading or Math) and then a class or group. (Teachers can only select one of their own groups.)
- If you have access to more than one school, you will need to select a school before selecting a class or group.
- After you select the students to view, the Latest Assessment Results panel to the right of the lists will update to show the settings of the benchmarks associated with the most recent assessments taken within the chosen subject.
In the example above, Reading is the chosen subject. The 12 students in Ms. Morris' class have taken a mix of Star Reading assessments (English and Spanish), Star Early Literacy assessments (English and Spanish), and Star CBM Reading assessments. Not all the students have taken every assessment; students in the class whose most recent assessment is not of the type displayed are represented by a dashed line.
The benchmarks for those assessments are shown by the colored bars. The width of the sections of the bars is a proportional indicator of the number of students in each benchmark category. Hovering over a bar gives a more specific breakdown—for instance, in the example below, of the 12 students in Ms. Morris' class, the most recent Reading assessment for 4 of them was a Star Early Literacy assessment. Of those 4 students, 2 are in the "Urgent Intervention" benchmark category (red), 1 is in "Intervention" (yellow), and 1 is in "On Watch" (blue).
Star Math Algebra and Star Math Geometry have no benchmarks associated with them; these tests will be indicated with gray in the benchmark bars.
- If you would prefer to measure the assessments against a different benchmark, select the gear in the upper-right corner of the panel.
Use the drop-down lists to select the benchmark you want to use for the available assessment types. (Note: Star CBM benchmarks cannot be changed.) Once you have made your changes, select Save. The Latest Assessments Results panel will update to match your choices.
- The table on the page shows the Star assessment information in the following columns:
- Student: Selecting a student's name will take you to the Student Details page for that student. Note the darker color of the "Student" header in the screenshot: this means the table is sorted by students' last names. Select the header to reverse the sort order, or select the head of another column to sort by the data in that column instead.
- GL: The student's grade level.
- Star Adaptive (English), Star Adaptive (Spanish), and Star CBM: Each of these columns shows data from the most recent assessment of the type shown. If a student hasn't taken an assessment of the type shown, the table cell will be blank for that student. If no students have taken an assessment of a particular type in the current school year, the column for that type of assessment will not be shown.
Each of these columns has three sub-columns of data:
- Date: The date when the student took the most recent assessment in the current school year.
- Test Type or Measure: The specific type of assessment.
|Star Adaptive (English)
||Star Adaptive (Spanish)
||Type of Assessment
||Type of Assessment
||Star Early Literacy
||Star Early Literacy Spanish
||Star Reading Enterprise
||Star Reading Spanish
||Passage Oral Reading
||Star Reading Progress Monitoring
||Star Math Spanish
||Third Grade Reading Proficiency
||Star Math Enterprise
||Addition to 20
||Star Math Progress Monitoring
||Mixed Addition and Subtraction
||Star Math Algebra
||Star Math Geometry
- Score: Percentile Rank (PR) and Scaled Score (SS) for Latest Star and Latest Star Spanish. The score for Latest Star CBM is CPM (Correct Per Minute).
To the left of the scores is a colored square : the color indicates which benchmark category the score places the student in. If the student has moved from one benchmark category to another, an arrow appears in the square showing which direction the move was in.
By default, Star Enterprise Scale scores are shown for the English and Spanish versions of Star Early Literacy, Star Reading, and Star Math. To use a different scale, select the gear above the upper-left corner of the table. In the pop-up menu, select the scale you want to use. (The available scales will change depending on the subject you selected earlier.)
Examples (assuming 4 benchmark categories):
The students' score moved them up to At/Above Benchmark.
The students' score kept them at Intervention.
The students' score moved them down to On Watch.
You may see icons to the right of a student's Star Adaptive score ; hover on them for additional information.
Potential Non-Reader: Score is in the range that usually occurs when a student is randomly choosing responses.
(with no score) Test Not Completed: The student did not pass the practice questions and was not allowed to take the test.
No Recent Test: This student's latest test is prior to the current screening window.
Short Test Time: This student took the test in a very short time, which may affect results.
Test Completed: The student has just finished taking a test; the score has not been calculated yet (in this case, no score will be displayed yet and the colored square will be gray).
An example of how to interpret the data:
Kathleen Gray is one of your third-grade students. You are looking at the Reading data from her latest tests, and you are using the Star Enterprise Scale to examine her scores.
Based on this information, Kathleen is doing well in English Reading, but needs some help with Passage Oral Reading. You may want Kathleen to retake the Star Reading Spanish test to get a more accurate result. Ideally, after some intervention, Kathleen will take follow-up assessments so you can check on her progress.
- Kathleen's latest Star assessment was a Star Reading Progress Monitoring test, which she took on 1/14/20. She got a Scaled Score of 976, which gives her a PR of 89. This places her in the At/Above Benchmark (green) category.
- Kathleen's latest Star Spanish assessment was a Star Reading Spanish test, which she took on 12/14/19. She got a Scaled Score of 884, which gives her a PR of 50. This places her in the On Watch (blue) benchmark category, a drop from where she was based on her prior Star Reading Spanish assessment (indicated by the down arrow in the blue square). The clock icon indicates that Kathleen finished the test in a very short time, which may have affected her score.
- Kathleen's latest Star CBM assessment focused on Passage Oral Reading, which she took on 1/16/20. Based on that test, she has a CPM of 61, which puts her in the On Watch (blue) category.
Changing any of the selections you've made will automatically update the table.
- You can create a PDF version of the table (which you can save or print) by selecting View PDF under the table at the bottom of the page.
You can download a CSV file (export-ClassStatus.csv) with all of the test data for the students in the selected class or group by selecting Download CSV under the table at the bottom of the page.
- To see the historical Star data for a specific student, select that student's name in the table. This will take you to the Student Details page for that student.