Pausing, Stopping, and Resuming a Star Math/Star Reading Test with Accommodations Set
Situations may arise in the classroom which interrupt a test (for example, a surprise fire drill). If this happens, the teacher or test monitor can stop the test, either pausing it so the student can return to it later, or canceling it entirely. The test can be paused and resumed as many times as needed, but it can only be resumed within 8 calendar days of when it was last paused.
For students taking a Star Math (English) or Star Reading (English) test with any of the Accommodations Preferences set, the procedure for pausing, stopping, or resuming a test differs from the "usual" method (there is no Stop Test button on the screen).
Pausing or Stopping a Test
- To pause or stop a test, use the keyboard shortcut Ctrl + Shift + M (Windows) or command + shift + M (Mac).This will open the following window:
- Enter the monitor password and select Continue (or select Go back if you don't want to pause or stop the test). Refer to the Monitor Password - Star Tests Preference to make sure you have the right password; you cannot use your Renaissance password.
If you enter the wrong password, you can try again.
However, if you enter the wrong password three times in a row, you will be locked out of making additional attempts for one minute. After that minute passes, you can try again.
- One you've entered the correct monitor password, you will see this window:
Select one of the following options:
Save & exit: Choose this when you want to stop the test, but plan to come back to it later.
- The student's answers to previous questions are saved.
- When the student resumes the test, they will be presented with the same question they were on when they exited the test.
- After selecting Save & exit, in the window that opens, select Yes to confirm that you want to pause the test, or No if you do not.
Discard & exit: Choose this when you want to stop the test; you are finished with it and have no plans to come back to it.
- The student's answers to previous questions are discarded.
- The next time the student logs in to take a test, the student will begin a new test.
- After selecting Discard & exit, in the window that opens, select Yes to confirm that you want to discard the test, or No if you do not.
- Close: Choose this when you want to continue taking the test now instead of saving or discarding it. The test continues as usual.
Resuming a Test
A paused test can only be resumed within 8 calendar days of when it was paused. When a student who has a paused test logs in and selects the Star Math or Star Reading icon on the home page, they will see a message telling them they have a test to finish.
Enter the monitor password and select Start to resume the test where the student left off. Resuming a test is similar to stopping a test with regard to the monitor password:
- You must use the monitor password, not your Renaissance password.
- If you enter the wrong password, you can try again; however, if you enter the wrong password three times in a row, you will be returned to the login page.