Book Reader and Literacy Tools
Once you open a book, you will see tools at the bottom and on the right side of the page.
- Play - Plays the audio for the book (unless teachers have turned off the audio option). If audio is playing, this button turns into a Pause button () instead.
- Volume - Opens the volume control so that you can make the audio louder or softer. Move the circle up to make the audio louder or down to make it softer.
- Back 10 Seconds - Goes back 10 seconds in the audio (when audio is playing).
- Start Audio Here - Move the circle in the slider to choose where you want audio to begin again. (Notice that the highlighted word changes as you move the circle.)
- Page Selector - Shows you the pages in the book; click a page that you want to go to.
- Zoom In or Out - Opens a zoom control. Move the circle up to make the page bigger. When the page is zoomed in, you will only see a part of the page; click and drag to move the page to see other sections. Move the circle down in the zoom control to make the page smaller.
- View Full Screen/View Windowed – Changes between full-screen and windowed mode.
- Add to Favorites - Adds the book to your favorites. After you select this button, it changes to to show you the book has been added. To remove the book from your favorites, select the button again.
- Exit – Exits the book and returns you to the dashboard (main page).
- Other Pages - Opens other resources for the book, such as the copyright or the table of contents. The available resources depend on the book.
- Dictionary - Enables you to look up a word or shows the meaning of a word that you selected in the book.
The Tools (L) and Journal (M) buttons described below provide literacy tools for students. For more about these tools, watch this video:
The Tools and Journal buttons are not available to those using shared myON accounts.
- Tools - Opens the toolbar with the Brush, Highlighter, Sticky Notes, Shapes (square or circle), Lines, Arrows, Eraser, Delete, and Color icons.
Brush – For drawing in the book using a paintbrush.
Highlighter – For highlighting text on the page being read.
Sticky Notes – For creating and editing sticky notes on the page being read. Students move the pin to where they want the note and then click to create one. Then they can enter text. In the note, students can click the button to choose a different icon for the top of the note to show what kind of comment the student is making, such as a question or something the student wants the teacher to look at.
Shapes – Used to mark areas of the page.
Arrow - Used to point out areas of the page.
Eraser - Used to erase other items the student has added to the page, such as brush marks, highlighting, shapes, lines, and arrows. (Sticky notes are deleted using the trash icon in the note.)
Delete – Opens a menu to choose the item(s) you want removed from the page or the entire book.
Color - Sets the color for items you add to the page, including the brush, highlighter, shapes, lines, arrows, and sticky notes.
- Journal – Opens the Journal for making entries about the current book.
enables you to copy text from the book. This is not available for books that do not include audio.
enables you to add a citation. It automatically adds the information from the book along with a date.
starts a new journal entry. Previous entries are listed on the left, where you can select them to open them.
deletes the open journal entry.
closes the journal.
- Settings - Allows you to set audio speed and whether to show annotations you've added, whether to highlight sentences as they are read aloud in the audio, whether to highlight words as they are read aloud, and whether to put the side toolbar on the left instead of the right.
Audio Speed: Move the circle to the right to speed up the audio, or move it to the left to slow down the audio. The arrow above the slider will show you if you are playing audio at normal speed (), at a faster speed (), at the fastest speed (), or at a slower speed ().
Show Annotations: If this is checked, you will see any brush marks, highlights, shapes, lines, arrows, or sticky notes you added. If it is not checked, they will be hidden.
Highlight Sentences: If this is checked, sentences are highlighted as each sentence is read on a page (if audio is being played). If it is not checked, sentences are not highlighted.
Highlight Words: If this is checked, words are highlighted as each word is read on a page (if audio is being played). If it is not checked, words are not highlighted.
Buttons on Left: Moves the side toolbar to the left instead of the right.