How Book Quizzes Work in myON
Most books in myON have a comprehensive book quiz after the student has completed reading the book. The book quiz is always 5 questions long, and the questions are pulled from a bank of 12 preset questions that focus on five reading skills: Main Idea, Vocabulary, Supporting Detail, Inference, and Interpretation. Each time the quiz is presented, different questions will be pulled in a different order.
If the book has a quiz, the student will be prompted to take it after they are done rating and/or reviewing the book (unless the building settings have book quizzes turned off for some or all grades). Note: If the student re-reads the book, the student will receive another quiz after finishing the book (as described below); quiz questions may be different, and the student's original score will not be replaced.
In order for the student to be presented with the quiz, they need to click I have finished this book! after reading the last page.
Note: Students can't complete the book until they have met both of these criteria:
- They have read at least 90% of the pages (viewing each of those pages for more than one second).
- The total time spent reading the book (in seconds) is >=90% of the word count divided by 4.
Since students can easily move to different pages in the book without reading it sequentially, these requirements enable myON to evaluate the effort the student put into reading the book. myON includes that information in reports.
After clicking the button, students will be immediately prompted to rate the book (and to review it if the school has that functionality enabled). Students click Save your review to finish. Ratings are important for future book recommendations.
If your school uses Accelerated Reader, and you want students to take both the myON book quiz and the AR quiz, ask them not to use the Take AR Quiz button on this page. Instead, they should select Save your review and go on to take the myON book quiz as described below. Then, they can find the book again and select Take AR Quiz in the book information window. If students take the AR quiz first, they cannot take the myON book quiz unless they read the book again.
For more on how students take AR quizzes from myON, see Accelerated Reader Quizzes in myON.
- While myON book quizzes are always 5 questions long (though questions and order vary), Accelerated Reader Reading Practice Quizzes range from 3 to 20 questions, depending on the length of the book.
- As mentioned above, myON book quizzes focus on reading skills, while Accelerated Reader quizzes focus on comprehension. (Separate Literacy Skills Quizzes and Vocabulary Practice Quizzes are available for reading skills in Accelerated Reader.)
- Accelerated Reader has quizzes for books that may not be available in myON; quizzes are available for over 200,000 books.
- myON book quizzes do not count toward Accelerated Reader goals. If you want your students' myON books to count toward those goals, be sure to have students take the Accelerated Reader quizzes in addition to myON book quizzes.
- myON book quiz data is available in the myON Quizzes Report. Accelerated Reader quiz results are available in the Accelerated Reader Record Book and Accelerated Reader reports.
Students whose average percent correct is 85%-95% for Accelerated Reader Reading Practice quizzes tend to show the highest gains in reading on the Star Reading test.
Best practices suggest that students are most engaged when they take the myON book quiz to confirm their understanding and then complete the Accelerated Reader quiz to show reading mastery.
Note: In the building settings, administrators can turn off the availability of Accelerated Reader quizzes in myON for some or all grades.
After finishing the book rating/review, students will be prompted to take the book quiz. The quiz will display 5 questions, and the numbered circles will display which question the student is on. Once all questions are answered, students will be able to click Turn in Quiz.
After a student turns in the quiz, the system will process it, and the student will be able to see which answers were correct or incorrect. The correct ones will be highlighted green; an incorrect answer will be highlighted red. Students select Return when they are done. (If your subscription includes Lexile® assessments and the student has a Benchmark test ready to take, the student will see a Continue to Benchmark button instead of a Return button, and the Benchmark will start after the quiz.)
More about myON book quizzes:
- Book quizzes should not be read aloud to students because they are designed to measure reading comprehension, not listening comprehension. If a child is too young to be able to read by themselves, the Building Administrator has the ability to restrict book quizzes to a minimum grade level or turn them off completely.
- To find out how your students are doing on book quizzes, see the Quizzes Report.
- If you want to see whether a book has a myON book quiz available, select the i (Details) tab in the book information window.
- If a student re-reads the book later, the student will receive another quiz after finishing the book. Since myON quizzes have a bank of 12 possible questions, the 5 quiz questions may be different from the questions the student originally saw. The student's original score will not be replaced.
How do teachers see the quiz questions? Teachers must read the book as a student would and finish the book; after this, they can take the myON book quiz. Note that like the student, the teacher will only see 5 of the 12 possible questions in the quiz.