Kindle Fire App
The myON Kindle Fire app lets you do the following:
- Share Kindle Fire HD tablets between students and classes - students select their name to use the app, and teachers can sync their rosters to the app on the device to quickly add their students.
- Download up to 20 books to read any time (even if you don't have an Internet connection after downloading). Every book in the collection is available to download for offline reading. You can select books to download through visual search or through the myon.com website in a browser on the tablet.
- Keep track of student reading statistics (online and offline), and sync activity to student myON accounts.
- Read books offline, with audio and highlighting if necessary.
The app requires the Kindle Fire HD (older Kindle Fire versions are not supported) and at least Android OS version 4.1; note that only the two most recent Android OS versions are supported. To add accounts and download books, you must be able to connect to the Internet.
Note: You can also use the built-in web browser on the Kindle Fire HD to directly access myON; see How to Log In to myON.
Downloading and Opening the App
There are two ways to get the myON app on a Kindle Fire HD tablet:
- Start with myON in a browser: This method is recommended if you open myON through the Renaissance Home page. On your Kindle Fire HD tablet, open your web browser and log in to myON. After you log in, select the tablet icon. Then, select Sign In to Mobile App. (If the button isn't shown, make sure the browser isn't in desktop mode.) If you haven't downloaded the mobile app yet, you will be taken to the app store so you can download the app. If you have already downloaded the app, the app will open, and you will be signed in.
- Start in the app store: Download the app from the Fire Tablet App store. Then, select the myON icon on your tablet. You can then follow the steps below to add your user accounts.
Using the App
After downloading the app, you can immediately read the included Jackie Robinson book. To read other books, you need to add user accounts to the app.
As described above, any user (teacher or student) who opens myON in the browser on the Kindle Fire HD tablet and then selects Sign In to Mobile App is automatically added to the list of users in the myON app. That user does not need to be added using the methods described below.
Adding Users to the App
How Teachers Add Their Students to the App
If you are a teacher, after you open the mobile app via the web browser or add yourself to the app using your user name and password, you will be asked if you want to sync all of the students in your roster to this device. Select Sync in the message.
To see the list of users after you sync, select the Users icon if you are not signed in, or if you are signed in, select the three dots and select Sign In.
You will see all students from the class in the list. Those students can use the myON app on the device by simply selecting their names - they do not need to enter their user names or passwords.
Students can also add themselves by starting from the browser, or single users can be added manually within the app. See the sections below.
How Users Add Themselves Starting from myON in the Web Browser
Both teachers and students can add themselves to the mobile app simply by opening the web browser on the Kindle Fire HD tablet, logging in to myON, selecting the tablet icon, and selecting Sign In to Mobile App. This will open the mobile app with that user added, and next time that person wants to use the app, they can simply open the app and select their name from the list of users to begin.
Adding Users Manually in the myON App
Users can also be added manually in the app. Follow these steps:
- To check which users are already in the app, do one of the following:
To add another user, do one of the following:
- If you have already been signed in, select the three dots in the top right corner of the window and then choose Sign In. You will see the list of Users.
- If you're not currently signed in, select the Users icon in the top right corner of the window if it is available.
To select your school, begin typing the name in the School field, and matching options will be listed. Select your school from the list.
- If you are already signed in to the app, select the three dots in the top right corner of the window; then, select Link User.
- If you are not signed in, tap the Link User icon in the top right corner of the window.
The school name will be added to the School field. Enter the user's username and password or PIN as you would to log in via a web browser; then, select Link. The app will add the user to the list of users. In the future, that person can simply select their name to begin using the app.
Note: Clever users may use a PIN instead of a password if they are added manually. To find their PIN, users can log in to myON using a web browser on a computer; after you log in, your PIN is in the upper-right corner of the page near your name.
To remove users from the app, open the list of users, then press and hold a user's name to see two options: Delete and Sign In. Select the Delete option. A message will ask if you're sure you want to delete the user; if you want to do so, select Delete in the message.
Signing In to the App
Once a teacher or student has been added to the myON app, that user only needs to select their name from the list of users to begin using the app. Users do not need to enter their username or password once they've been added to the app.
Downloading Books in the App
To download books that you want to read in the app (offline or online), follow these steps.
- Select the Add Book icon in the top right corner of the window.
- If you want to find a book by category, select a category that you're interested in (such as "Animals"). Then, select a subcategory (such as "Pets" in the example below). When you see a list of books, select the book that you're interested in.
If you want to search for a book with text, select the magnifying glass in the top right corner of the window. Then, enter a keyword to search for. In the list of possible matching results, select a book title.
- The book information window will open with details about the book. To download the book, select the Add to device button. (If you decide not to download this book, simply select the red X to close the information about this book and search for another one.)
- Once you choose to add a book to the app, the book title will appear on the app home page. When the book begins downloading, you will see a red "Downloading" message above the book cover; this means you can't open the book yet.
Once 20% of the pages have been downloaded, the message will turn green, and you can begin reading the book. Note: As you read, a message might tell you the book is still downloading; you'll need to wait until the book has finished downloading to continue reading.
When the book has been completely downloaded, the "Downloading" message will disappear, and you can read the entire book.
You can also open the browser on the tablet and log in to myON to search for books. When you find a book to open, you'll see a blue download button that will open the app and add the book.
Reading a Book in the App
Once you've downloaded a book, you can select a book in the app to open it. Then, in the book information window, select Read this Book. (You also have an option for removing a book that you no longer want to keep in the app.)
The book will open.
As you read the book, you can do the following:
Setting the Language of the Book Categories
Within the Android app, you can choose a language for the book categories shown in the app. To do this, after you've selected your name, select the language shown at the top of the window.
Then, in the menu that opens, choose the language that you want to use for book categories in the app. The languages that are available are set by the Building Administrator; see Building Administrator Building Settings Overview.
Help in the App
For more help using the app, select the i button in the top right corner of the window if it is available. If not, select the three dots in the top right corner and select Info.