You can download a free myON app for myON from the Chrome store. Simply go to https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/myon/jahdnkaoagdemliakgkedafnhlafpamg
On a Chromebook, you can also search for "myON" in the Chrome Web Store. When you find the myON app, select Add to Chrome.
The app lets you do the following:
- Share tablets between students and classes - students log in to use the app.
- Download up to 20 books to read any time (even if you don't have an Internet connection after downloading). Every book in the collection is available to download for offline reading. You can select books to download through visual search or through the myon.com website.
- Keep track of student reading statistics (online and offline), and sync activity to student myON accounts.
- Read books offline, with audio and highlighting if necessary.
The Chrome app can be used on any PC, Mac, or Windows tablet or Chromebook - as long as you have the Chrome browser, you can use the app. The Chrome app is not recommended for Android, iPad, or Kindle Fire HD tablets, which have their own native myON apps.
To add accounts and download books, you must be able to connect to the Internet. Offline reading can only be done through the free app.
Opening the App
On a Chromebook, you can select the myON app from the Launcher or when you view all apps:
In a browser, select Apps in the top left corner of the window; then, select myON.
Using the App
The first time you open the app, you can immediately read the included Jackie Robinson book. To read other books, you must first add user accounts to the app.
Adding User Accounts
Adding Users One by One
- Select the + Link User icon in the top right corner of the app window.
- To select your school, begin typing the name in the School field, and matching options will be listed. Select your school from the list.
- The school name will be added to the School field. Enter your student's user name and password or PIN as you would to log in via a web browser; then, select Link. The app will record the student as a user of myON in the app. In the future, the student will log in by selecting his or her name and entering the correct user name.
Note: Clever users may be required to use a PIN instead of a password. To find their PIN, users can log in to myon.com using a web browser on a computer; after you log in, your PIN is in the upper-right corner of the page near your name.
Adding All Students in a Teacher's Roster
If you add a teacher instead of a student, you will be asked to select the classes/groups that you want to add. Check the class(es); then, select Save.
To remove users from the app, select Sign In. In the list of users, hover over a user's name to see the Remove option. Select Remove. You must enter the user's password to finish removing the user from the app. (When you hover over a teacher's name, you will also see an Edit Classes option that lets you change the classes you've chosen to link.)
Once you have added users, you can log in to begin downloading and reading other books in the app. Students can log in when the computer or Chromebook has Internet access and when it does not. Teachers may only log in when the device has an Internet connection; set up a generic student account if the teacher wants to read books offline too.
- Select Sign In in the top right corner.
- Select your name from the list of users; depending on how you were added, you may find your name under "Individuals" or under the name of a class or group.
- Enter your user name and select Submit.
Downloading Books in the App
To download books that you want to read in the app (offline or online), follow these steps.
- Select Add Book in the top left corner of the app window.
- If you want to find book by category, select a category that you're interested in (such as "Animals"). Then, select a subcategory (such as "Pets" in the example below). When you see a list of books, select the book that you're interested in.
If you want to search for a book with text, click in the search field at the top of the window. Then, enter a keyword to search for. In the list of possible matching results, select a book title.
- The book information window will open with details about the book. To download the book, select Download. (If you decide not to download this book, simply click the red X to close the information about this book and search for another one.)
- Once you choose to add a book to the app, a gray icon with the book title will appear in the app window. When the download is complete, the book icon will display in color.
You can also open the browser on the computer or Chromebook and log in to the myon.com website to search for books. When you find a book to open, you'll see a blue download button that will open the app and add the book.
Reading a Book in the App
Once you've downloaded a book, you can select a book in the app to open it. Then, in the book information window, select Read. (You also have an option for deleting a book that you no longer want to keep in the app.)
The book will open. Select Start the Book.
As you read the book, you can do the following:
Help in the App
For more help using the app, select the Info button in the top left corner of the page.