Reading Spanish – Scaled Score Enterprise – Star Early Literacy Spanish Goal
How do I get to this page?
- Log in to Renaissance.
- On the Home page, select Star Spanish; in the drop-down menu, select Manage Goals & Benchmarks.
- On the Goals & Benchmarks page, select Set a Goal.
Who can do this with default user permissions?
- District Level Administrators: can work with goals for all students in the district
- School Level Administrators: can work with goals for all students in their own school
- Teachers: can work with goals for their own students
Goals are set at the individual student level. When you set a Scaled Score Enterprise goal for Star Early Literacy Spanish, you set a target Scaled Score that you want the student(s) to reach and a time frame for them to achieve that goal.
These instructions are for setting a Scaled Score goal on the Enterprise Scale. If you prefer to set a goal on the Unified scale, see Reading Spanish - Scaled Score Unified.
The setting of the Star Scale Transition Preference determines whether Unified or Enterprise Scaled Score goal types are available. Beginning in the 2022–2023 school year, only the Star Unified scale will be available; the preference will no longer be in the program, and Scaled Score Enterprise goals will no longer be available.
Scaled Scores (SS) are calculated based on the difficulty of questions in a student's test and the number of correct responses. They can be used to compare student performance over time and across grade levels. Star Early Literacy Spanish Scaled scores range from 300–900.
Percentile Ranks (PR) is a norm-referenced score that indicates the percentage of other students nationally who obtained scores equal to or lower than the score of a particular student. Percentile Rank scores range from 1–99.
Student Growth Percentile (SGP) compares a student's growth to that of his or her academic peers nationwide. Lower numbers indicate lower relative growth, and higher numbers indicate higher relative growth. SGP scores range from 1–99.
- On the Set a Goal page, choose Select... (either the link or the button) to begin choosing which students to set the goal for.
- In the pop-up window:
- After making your choices, select Apply (or Cancel to close the pop-up without saving your selections).
- You will see the students you have chosen listed on the Set a Goal page . (If you need to change your selection, select Change Selection .)
- In the "Type of goal" section, use the drop-down lists and select Reading Spanish for the goal category and Scaled Score Enterprise - Star Early Literacy Spanish for the goal type.
- After you make those selections, the "Set goal options" section of the page will open. Select the Goal start and end dates drop-down list and choose the marking period during which the students should be working towards this goal (the dates for the marking periods are also shown next to their names).
You can also select Custom... and then set a custom date range instead of using a marking period. Enter start and end dates in the fields by using the calendars to select a range of dates; then select Apply to use the dates you have chosen (or Cancel to close this pop-up without saving your selection).
- Enter a name for the goal or intervention .
- Star Early Literacy Spanish Enterprise tests are the only student activities that apply towards achieving the goal , so you do not have to select it.
Initially, you will set a single goal level for all the selected students (but you will be able to change individual student goals later if you wish). Select one of the levels presented here: Moderate (50 SGP), Moderately Ambitious (65 SGP), or Ambitious (75 SGP) .
- Once you have set the goal options, select Apply .
- At the bottom of the page, you will see a table with all the selected students—each student's Scaled Score (from their most recent test) is shown, along with a calculated goal, based on the level you chose and the date you want the student to reach the goal by .
Note: Students who have not taken a test yet will still have a calculated goal, but it will be based on the student's grade instead of a Scaled Score. For kindergarten students who have no prior tests, no goal recommendation will be given.
The Scaled Score goal levels (calculated based on the goal levels you selected earlier) are already entered in the Goal fields —you can keep these values or change them if you wish.
If the calculated Scaled Score goal level is below the Scaled Score from the student's latest test, a Below latest test message will appear in the Goal column, indicating that a higher goal needs to be set for that student.
Students who already have a Star Early Literacy Spanish Scaled Score goal set for a time period that overlaps this one will appear in bold in this table, with an asterisk following their names, and a separate table below will list the overlapping goals for those students.
You can still set new goals for these students, or, if you prefer, you can go back and edit or delete the existing goals on the Goals & Benchmarks page. If you don't want to set new goals for these students or change the existing ones, choose Change Selection at the top of the page and deselect the students who have overlapping goals.
- Once you have set Scaled Score goals for all the students, select Save Goals (or select Cancel to leave this page without saving these goals).