Reading – SGP – Star Early Literacy Goal
How do I get to this page?
- Log in to Renaissance.
- On the Home page, select Star Early Literacy; in the drop-down menu, select Manage Goals & Benchmarks.
- On the Goals & Benchmarks page, select Set a Goal.
Who can do this with default user permissions?
- District Level Administrators: can work with goals for all students in the district
- School Level Administrators: can work with goals for all students in their own school
- Teachers: can work with goals for their own students
Goals are set at the individual student level. When you set an SGP goal for Star Early Literacy, you set an SGP goal that you want the student(s) to reach and a time frame for them to achieve that goal.
Scaled Scores (SS) are calculated based on the difficulty of questions in a student's test and the number of correct responses. They can be used to compare student performance over time and across grade levels. Star Early Literacy Scaled Scores range from 300–900.
Percentile Ranks (PR) is a norm-referenced score that indicates the percentage of other students nationally who obtained scores equal to or lower than the score of a particular student. Percentile Rank scores range from 1–99.
Student Growth Percentile (SGP) compares a student's growth to that of his or her academic peers nationwide. Lower numbers indicate lower relative growth, and higher numbers indicate higher relative growth. SGP scores range from 1–99.
For more information, see Benchmarks and Cut Scores for the Enterprise scale, Unified Benchmarks and Cut Scores, and What is Student Growth Percentile?
- On the Set a Goal page, choose Select... (either the link or the button) to begin choosing which students to set the goal for.
- In the pop-up window:
- After making your choices, select Apply (or Cancel to close the pop-up without saving your selections).
- You will see the students you have chosen listed on the Set a Goal page . (If you need to change your selection, select Change Selection .)
- In the "Type of goal" section, use the drop-down lists and select Reading for the goal category and SGP - Star Early Literacy for the goal type.
- After you make those selections, the "Set goal options" section of the page will open. Select the Goal start and end dates drop-down list and choose the marking period during which the students should be working towards this goal (the dates for the marking periods are also shown next to their names).
You can also select Custom... and then set a custom date range instead of using a marking period. Enter start and end dates in the fields by using the calendars to select a range of dates; then select Apply to use the dates you have chosen (or Cancel to close this pop-up without saving your selection).
- Enter a name for the goal or intervention .
- Star Early Literacy Enterprise Tests are the only student activities that are applied towards achieving a Star Early Literacy SGP goal—unlike Star Math or Star Reading SGP goals, there is no need to select additional activities.
- Initially, you will set a single goal level for all the selected students (but you will be able to change individual student goals later if you wish). Select one of the levels presented here: Moderate (50 SGP), Moderately Ambitious (65 SGP), or Ambitious (75 SGP) . Based on your selection, the program will suggest SGP goals for the students.
- Once you have set the goal options, select Apply .
- At the bottom of the page, you will see a table with all the selected students—each student's SGP (from their most recent test) is shown, along with a calculated goal (based on the level you chose and the date you want the student to reach the goal by ).
The SGP goal levels (calculated based on the goal levels you selected earlier) are already entered in the Goal fields —you can keep these values or change them if you wish.
If the selected goal level is below the SGP from the student's latest test, a Below latest test message will appear in the Goal column, indicating that a higher goal needs to be set for that student.
Students who already have a Star Early Literacy SGP goal set for a time period that overlaps this one will appear in bold in this table, with an asterisk following their names, and a separate table below will list the overlapping goals for those students.
You can still set new goals for these students, or, if you prefer, you can go back and edit or delete the existing goals on the Goals & Benchmarks page. If you don't want to set new goals for these students or change the existing ones, choose Change Selection at the top of the page and deselect the students who have overlapping goals.
For guidance in choosing an SGP, see Student Growth Percentile.
- Once you have set SGP goals for all the students, select Save Goals (or select Cancel to leave this page without saving these goals).