Math – Percentile Rank Goal
How do I get to this page?
- Log in to Renaissance.
- On the Home page, select Star Math; in the drop-down menu, select Manage Goals & Benchmarks.
- On the Goals & Benchmarks page, select Set a Goal.
How to set the goal
Who can do this with default user permissions?
- District Level Administrators: can work with goals for all students in the district
- School Level Administrators: can work with goals for all students in their own school
- Teachers: can work with goals for their own students
Goals are are set at the individual student level. When you set a Percentile Rank goal for math, you set a target Percentile Rank that you want the student(s) to reach and a time frame for them to achieve that goal.
Scaled Scores (SS) are calculated based on the difficulty of questions in a student's test and the number of correct responses. They can be used to compare student performance over time and across grade levels. Star Math Scaled Scores range from 0–1400.
Percentile Ranks (PR) are a norm-referenced score that indicate the percentage of other students nationally who obtained scores equal to or lower than the score of a particular student. Percentile Rank scores range from 1–99.
Student Growth Percentile (SGP) compares a student's growth to that of his or her academic peers nationwide. Lower numbers indicate lower relative growth, and higher numbers indicate higher relative growth. SGP scores range from 1–99.
For more information, see Benchmarks, Cut Scores, and Growth Rates for the Enterprise scale or the Unified scale, and What is Student Growth Percentile?
- On the Set a Goal page, choose Select... (either the link or the button) to begin choosing which students to set the goal for.
- In the pop-up window:
- After making your choices, select Apply (or Cancel to close the pop-up without saving your selections).
- You will see the students you have chosen listed on the Set a Goal page . (If you need to change your selection, select Change Selection .)
- In the "Type of goal" section, use the drop-down lists and select Math for the goal category and Percentile Rank for the goal type.
- After you make those selections, the "Set goal options" section of the page will open. Select the Goal start and end dates drop-down list and choose the marking period during which the students should be working towards this goal (the dates for the marking periods are also shown next to their names).
You can also select Custom... and then set a custom date range instead of using a marking period. Enter start and end dates in the fields by using the calendars to select a range of dates; then select Apply to use the dates you have chosen (or Cancel to close this pop-up without saving your selection).
- Enter a name for the goal or intervention .
- Select the student activities that apply towards achieving the goal .
- Once you have set the goal options, select Apply .
- At the bottom of the page, you will see a table with all the selected students—each student's Percentile Rank (from their most recent test) is shown, along with a calculated goal (based on the date you want the student to reach the goal by ). The calculated goal is already entered in the Goal fields —you can keep these values or change them if you wish. For guidance in choosing a Percentile Rank, see Benchmarks, Cut Scores, and Growth Rates for the Enterprise scale or the Unified scale.
Students who already have a Math Percentile Rank goal set for a time period that overlaps this one will appear in bold in this table, with an asterisk following their names, and a separate table below will list the overlapping goals for those students.
You can still set new goals for these students, or, if you prefer, you can go back and edit or delete the existing goals on the Goals & Benchmarks page. If you don't want to set new goals for these students or change the existing ones, choose Change Selection at the top of the page and deselect the students who have overlapping goals.
- Once you have set Percentile Rank goals for all the students, select Save Goals (or select Cancel to leave this page without saving these goals).