How do I remove old students and courses from my roster?
At Freckle, we do everything we can to preserve student data from year to year. To prevent our users from accidentally deleting important information, Freckle does not offer the ability to completely clear out a roster. However, our clean up tools help you get rid of old students and courses in just a few steps.
Option A: You do NOT want to keep any data from last year. You want students to retake pre-tests and start with a 0 coin balance.
- Upload your new rosters and de-select the merge duplicate students option.
- New roster data will enter your teacher accounts.
- Teachers can simply delete any rosters from last year.
Option B (preferred): You would ideally like to maintain student data, but do not want any duplicate or old students or courses in your roster.
The fastest and most thorough way to remove unwanted students from your roster is to get rid of old, teacher-managed courses.
Follow these steps:
- Sync your roster, either through Clever, Classlink, Renaissance, or Freckle's import tool. Our system does not know which records to delete unless you have admin-managed records in your roster.
- Select Clean up Roster on your dashboard. Also select Clean up Courses. Note that as a first step, Freckle will merge duplicate student records into one record.
- When you confirm the course clean up, the system will remove courses if:
- the course was created by a teacher, AND
- the teacher has at least one admin-created student.
- Important: After these courses are deleted:
- Students will no longer be able to log into that course.
- Teachers of the removed courses can still recover the students from their "removed courses" folder.
- If the students in a deleted course also belong to non-deleted courses, they can still access their non-deleted courses as usual.
Manually removing students and courses
If outdated courses still exist in Freckle after the bulk-archive process, you can manually remove them.
- Impersonate the teacher who owns the course from your roster Dashboard, by selecting the icon next to the teacher's name.
- Select Roster in the sidebar.
- From the teacher's roster, select Empty Class from the drop-down list.
- All students in the class will be transferred to the teacher's "Removed Students" folder. The class will disappear from the Freckle roster.