Freckle Implementation Ideas
Using Freckle for Enrichment
How do you keep advanced skill students engaged? Try some of these ideas:
- Independent Practice
- Allow students to practice in a domain of interest or in higher grade level domains.
- Once students complete a domain, reset and allow them to work back through content.
- Targeted Practice
- Push out assignments at advanced grade level standards.
- Use completed assignment outline with questions/answers for error analysis and further discussion.
- Students create a screencast walking through their processing and understanding of each problem.
- Inquiry Based Lessons (IBLs)
- After completed once as a class, allow students to choose a topic/project of interest.
- Select projects based on topic content to align with learning in cross curricular classes or community initiatives.
- Encourage students to design their own focus questions.
- Library Articles
- Assign Social Studies/Science curriculum aligned articles to expand content learning.
- Create a class challenge to read a specific number of text from selected non-fiction genres (Example: Article Genre BINGO).
- Assign students articles OR change their level to a higher level such that they can self-select more challenging texts.
- Students share out key learnings and take-aways in small groups.
- Skills Practice
- Teachers or students create a rotating schedule of domains to focus practice time.
- Students practice in domains that connect to their personal independent reading.
- Students develop their own hard-copy "city" of buildings as they work through the skills practice domains.
- Decodables/Sight Words/Word Study
- Students work through components independently at their own pace.
- Students use focus topics/words/sounds as guide for story/play creation.
- Students create sight word/letter sound pictures to add to the classroom/personal space as they master content.