Deactivating and Reactivating Star Math Tests
Who can do this with default user permissions?
District Level Administrators, District Staff, School Level Administrators
Although you cannot permanently delete a Star Math test from a student's test record, you can deactivate a test. For example, if a student logged in with the wrong user name and took a test, that test should be deactivated so it will not be included in the other student's test history.
Deactivating a test removes the test-taking data and the test results from any reports or calculations for that student. If necessary, a deactivated test can be reactivated at a later time.
Deactivated tests will not be used when calculating SGPs. If a student has a test deactivated, and that test had been used to calculate the student's SGP, that student's SGP will be recalculated approximately 5–10 minutes after the test deactivation.
Method 1—Using the Star Record Book
- Log in to Renaissance.
- On the Home page, select Star Math; in the drop-down list, select Record Book.
- Use the drop-down lists in the upper-left corner of the Record Book to select the subject (select Math to see Star Math assessments), the school the student is in, and the class or group for the student is in. Note that school administrators who are only assigned to one school will not need to select a school.
- In the table at the bottom of the page, select the student's name. This will open the Student Details page for that student, where you will see a list of all of the student's math assessments.
- In the row for the test you want to deactivate or reactivate, use the drop-down list in the Actions column. In the confirmation message that opens, select Deactivate Assessment or Reactivate Assessment, whichever is appropriate.
Test-taking data for a deactivated test is removed and the test results will not be used for any reports or calculations for the student.
Test-taking data for a reactivated test is restored and the test results will be used for reports and calculations for the student.
Method 2—Using the Track Student Work Dashboard
Note: If the student has taken more than one Star Math test, this method will not work; use the Star Record Book method (above) instead.
- Log in to Renaissance.
- On the Home page, select Star Math; then, select Deactivate Star Tests.
- The Track Student Work Dashboard will open. Select the “...for [assignments]...” section of the navigation sentence.
- In the pop-up window that opens, select Assignments from assessment apps in the Assignment Type column and Star Math Assessment (English) in the Application column. Then check Star Math Assessment (English) in the Assignments column and select Apply.
- Select the “...for [students]...” section of the navigation sentence.
- In the pop-up window that opens, select the students whose tests you want to deactivate by selecting the students' school, teacher, and class/group. (You can only make one selection in each of these columns.)
Next, you can select all the students in the class/group at once by choosing All Students at the top of the Students column, or you can choose Select Students and then check individual students who need to have tests deactivated.
You can search the items in a column by clicking within that column and then typing Ctrl+F or control-F on the keyboard.
Once you have made your choices, select Apply.
- Select the “...for the [time frame]...” section of the navigation sentence.
- In the drop-down list, choose the timeframe that the tests you want to deactivate were taken in: the school year, the last 30 days, the last 7 days, the current marking period, or custom dates.
If you choose to use a custom date range, you can either type the start and end dates or select them from the calendars that open as you click in each field. You can select Clear dates (in the top right corner) to remove dates that you have entered or selected. When you are done choosing the dates, select Continue (or Cancel if you decide not to use custom dates).
This is sufficient information to find the tests you need to deactivate; you do not need to use the “...using the [scale]...” section of the navigation sentence.
- In the table at the bottom of the page, select Star Ad-Hoc Lesson. (Star test information is shown in this plan; if you wish, you can select the to the left of the plan to see the students you've selected, as shown below.)
- On the next page, select Star Math English Enterprise in the Assignment column of the table. The table will expand, listing all the students you have selected.
- In the row for a student, select the number in the Scored column (this number represents the completed, scored Star Math test that you want to deactivate). In the pop-up menu that opens, select Deactivate.
- A confirmation window will open. Select Deactivate (or Cancel to close this pop-up without saving your changes).
- The deactivated test will still appear in the student's record; however, a D will appear in the Scored column to indicate that this test has been deactivated and the test score will not be used for reporting purposes (except as indicated at the top of this help topic).
- Follow the steps shown above to view the test record of a student with a deactivated test.
- When you find the deactivated test, select the D in the Scored column. In the pop-up window, select Reactivate.
- A confirmation window will open. Select Reactivate (or Cancel to close this pop-up without saving your changes).
The reactivated test will once again appear in the student's record, and the test score will be used for reporting purposes.