Editing the Problem Format Preference
Who can do this with default capabilities?
District Administrator, School Administrator, Teacher
Note: District staff and school staff can view the setting, but they cannot change it.
The Problem Format preference allows you to specify which format the program will use for the problems on practices and tests. The settings affect the class that you select; however, you can add specific students to the Exception list and choose different settings for those students.
The available formats are Horizontal, Vertical, or Combination (a random combination of horizontal and vertical format). The default is Horizontal. Some levels use only Horizontal (even if Vertical or Combination is selected as the problem format). For a list of those levels, see Levels That Use Only Horizontal.
What the Preference Affects
This preference affects students who are using MathFacts in a Flash at school. It does not affect students who are using Renaissance Home Connect.
Changing the Settings
- On the Home page, select Other Math & Reading Apps.
- On the next page, select MathFacts in a Flash; then, select Preferences.
If necessary, use the School and Class drop-down lists (above the preferences tables) to choose the school and class.
Under Classroom Preferences, select Problem Format.
- To change the setting for an entire class, select Horizontal, Vertical, or Combination (a random mix of horizontal and vertical). (Remember that some levels use only Horizontal.)
- To choose a different setting for some of the students, select Add Students above the Exceptions table.
In the list on the right side of the page, check the students that need a different setting from the class. Then, select < Add.
The students you selected are listed on the left, under Exceptions to Class Setting. For each student in the Exceptions table, choose one of the options in the Problem Format column.
Once you have made a student an exception, that student will not be affected by the class setting for this preference, unless you remove the student from the exception list.
- When you're ready to save your changes, select Save. (To exit without saving your changes, select Cancel.)
To return the class setting to the default (Horizontal), select Default. This returns the class setting to the default; it does not change any exceptions (individual students).