Creating Student Groups
You can assign article assignments to your classes or groups. If you would like to create additional instructional groups within your classes, follow these steps:
- On the Home page, select Reading Reports.
- On the Reports page, the Accelerated Reader/Reading Practice tab is selected. In the Monitor Progress section of the page, select Reading Overview Dashboard.
- Select Manage Groups at the top of the dashboard page.
- On the Manage Groups page, your school will be selected. If you have access to more than one school, and you need to change the selected school, click Change Selection; then, select a school in the window that opens and select Apply.
- Then, select Create New Groups.
- On the next page, one or more of your classes will be selected by default. If you want to change the classes from which you will create the groups, click Change Selection.
In the window that opens, your school will be selected. (If you have access to more than one school, select one.) Next, check the teachers whose students you want to add to groups. In the last column, you can choose whether to select all classes or specific classes; if you choose to select specific classes, check the ones that you want to create groups for. You can search the items in a column by clicking within that column and then typing Ctrl+F or control-F on the keyboard. When you have finished, select Apply.
- Next, use the first drop-down list to choose whether to create reading groups or math groups. Select Reading for groups that you will use for Accelerated Reader 360.
- Use the second drop-down list to choose the scale for the Star Scaled Scores that you want to see and use for grouping:
- Star Reading Enterprise Scale will only show Star Reading scores, and it will only show them on the Enterprise Scale (0-1400).
- Star Early Literacy Enterprise Scale will only show Star Early Literacy scores on the Star Early Literacy Enterprise Scale (300-900).
- Star Unified will show the latest Star score for reading assessments (Star Reading or Star Early Literacy) on the Unified Scale (0-1400).
Use the third drop-down list to choose which benchmark categories (School, District, or State) that you want to use to start your groups, or choose "No default grouping". The benchmark colors will also be shown for student scores.
If students have taken a Star Reading or Star Early Literacy test, they will be placed in groups according to their Scaled Scores and benchmark categories to start (unless you choose "No default grouping"), but you can make adjustments before saving the groups. For reading groups, Star Reading scores are used if they are available; otherwise, Star Early Literacy scores are used.
Select Create Groups to the right of the drop-down lists.
You will see the following:
Make adjustments to the group(s) for each student as needed. When you are done, select Save.
- If you have selected students from more than one class, you will be asked to enter a name for the groups you are creating. Enter a name that shows the purpose for the groups. (If you selected only one class, you won't be asked to enter a name.)
- Below the subject and scale that you selected, you will see the groups that have been created. The number of groups is based on the number of benchmark categories (if you chose a benchmark type). The example below has four groups. Each group is named according to the color used on this page; to give the groups your own name, click in each field and edit the name as needed. (Note that you can't re-use group names that you've used for other groups for the selected students.) To add more groups, select Add. To delete a group, select the to the right of the group name.
- Below the options, you will see a list of the students that includes their Scaled Scores (and their benchmark category colors), Percentile Ranks (PR), and the group numbers. A check mark in a group column means the student is in that group, and the color around the check mark is the group color. Students can be in more than one group. For each student, check the columns of the groups that you'd like to put the student into (or make changes to the default grouping as needed). Note that you can click the Student, SS (Scaled Score), and PR (Percentile Rank) column headings to choose which column to sort students by and to choose whether to sort students by highest scores or lowest scores.
- As students are added to groups, you will see their scores in the Student Growth & Achievement chart to the right, which reflects your students' Scaled Scores and Student Growth Percentiles. Students are only included on the chart if they have taken more than one Star Reading or Star Early Literacy test (for Reading groups) and the tests are in two different testing windows.
If you have students with different grades in the groups, you can use the drop-down list at the top of the chart to choose which grade's benchmark categories you want to see.
Students will be shown as circles on the chart in the color of the group(s) that you have selected so that you can see where they fall in the benchmark categories. If you select the circle for a student, you can see that student's Scaled Score and Student Growth Percentile. (If students have overlapping circles, you may also see a drop-down list that lets you choose which student's score you want to see.)
For more detailed information about the page where you create groups, see Manage Groups Page.
You will return to your list of groups for the school, and your new groups will be in the list.