Quiz Retake Restrictions Preference
Use this preference to set whether students are allowed to retake Accelerated Reader quizzes, and if so, how long they must wait before retaking a quiz or whether a quiz retake is allowed when the teacher enters the monitor password. This preference applies to all types of Accelerated Reader quizzes. Since this preference is a class preference, each class can have different settings.
By allowing students to retake quizzes, either after a specified period of time or when teachers enter the monitor password, teachers can give students credit for books they have re-read.
If you decide not to allow students to retake quizzes, you may still deactivate quiz records to allow a quiz to be retaken in special circumstances.
How to get to this preference
To get to the Quiz Retake Restrictions preference page, follow these steps:
- On the Home page, select Accelerated Reader Independent Reading; then, select Preferences from the menu.
- Select Quiz Retake Restrictions under the Class Preferences on the Preferences page.
How to set the preference
Who can do this with default user permissions?
District Level Administrators, School Level Administrators, Teachers
District-level administrators can set the preference for all classes at all schools. School-level administrators can set the preference for all classes at their schools. Teachers can set the preference for their classes. Other staff cannot set the preference unless they have been granted special permissions, but they can view the settings.
- If you have access to more than one school, use the Schools drop-down list to choose the school whose classes you want to set the preference for.
- Select the Classes drop-down list to choose the class(es) that you want to set the preference for. Then, check the classes. If you want to set the preference for all of your classes, click Select All. (The link changes to Clear All when you do this; select that link if you want to clear all selections.)
- The classes you selected are listed. For each class, select the drop-down list and choose the setting you prefer.
Never means that students are never allowed to retake quizzes unless you deactivate the student's quiz record. Once a student has taken a quiz, the student sees the "Quiz Complete" message and cannot take a quiz of that type again for that book. (Note: Literacy Skills Quizzes may be taken 3 times before they see the message; other types of quizzes may only be taken once.)
Always with monitor password means the student will see a "Retake Quiz" link for any complete quiz, and if they select the link, the teacher may enter the monitor password to allow the student to retake the quiz.
The remaining settings mean that students may retake quizzes, but you choose the number of school years that must pass before the student may retake a quiz. After the selected amount of time has passed, students may take the quiz again as they did originally.
For example, if you choose after 1 school year, students who have taken a Reading Practice, Article, Other Reading, or Vocabulary Practice Quiz in the 2020-2021 school year may retake that quiz as soon as the next school year (2021-2022) begins in your software (based on the school year dates set when the administrator adds the school year). For Literacy Skills Quizzes, students may take a quiz up to 3 times in the specified time period. In this example, students who had taken the Literacy Skills Quiz in the 2020-2021 school year can still take the quiz up to 3 times in the 2021-2022 school year.
If you choose after 5 school years, students in the 2021-2022 school year can only retake quizzes that were taken before the start of the 2017-2018 school year:
- 2020-2021 is one year ago
- 2019-2020 is two years ago
- 2018-2019 is three years ago
- 2017-2018 is four years ago
- 2016-2017 is five years ago
In this example, for Literacy Skills Quizzes that students took before the start of the 2017-2018 school year, they may take the quiz again up to 3 times in the current year.
Select Save Changes to save your settings. (Select < Back to go back to the Preferences page.)
If you want to use the same setting for all of the selected classes, select Set All above the table.
In the popup window, use the drop-down list to choose the setting that you prefer; then, select Apply to All. (You still need to save your changes.)