Using the Book Level Restrictions Preference to Restrict Quizzing
Use the Book Level Restrictions preference to restrict the books that students can take quizzes for based on book levels. Students can find books with the book levels that you don't allow, but they cannot take quizzes on those books unless you allow teachers to use the monitor password for reading quizzes to override the restriction.
The book level type used depends on the Lexile® Range preference; if it is set to use Lexile® Ranges for your school, then book level restrictions are set as a range of Lexile® Measures rather than ATOS book levels.
Students who select articles will still be able to read articles with the restricted book levels, but they will not be allowed to take quizzes on those articles.
Who can do this with default permissions?
District Level Administrators, School Level Administrators, Teachers
District level administrators can set the preference for students in all classes at all schools. School level administrators can set the preference for students in all classes at their schools. Teachers can set the preference for students in their classes. Other staff cannot set the preference unless they have been granted special permissions, but they can view the settings.
To set book level restrictions, follow these steps:
- On the Home page, select Accelerated Reader Independent Reading; then, choose Preferences from the popup menu as shown above.
- Select Book Level Restrictions under the Individual Student Preferences on the Preferences page.
- By default, one of your classes is selected, and all of the students in the class are listed.
If you want to set the preference for students in a different class, select the link under the preference name.
If necessary, select a school in the first column. Select a single class in the second column. (You can search the items in a column by clicking within that column and then typing Ctrl+F or control-F on the keyboard.)
In the third column, you can either select All Students or choose Select Students and check the students that you want to set the preference for. When you're done, select Apply.
- The students in the class are listed. For each student, move the circles to set the range of book levels for which the student should be allowed to take quizzes. Once you have selected a circle (and you see an outline around it), you can also use the left and right arrow keys on your keyboard to move the circle to the left or right in 0.1 increments (for ATOS book levels) or increments of 10 (for Lexile® Measures).
You can also enter the starting and ending book levels for the allowed range to the left and right of the line. In the example above, the student can take quizzes on books with levels from 4.0 to 7.5.
You can override these restrictions with the monitor password for reading quizzes if the Monitor Password Override preference allows this.
If you want to use the same setting for all of the selected students, select Set All above the table.
In the popup window, select the range of book levels that you want to allow; then, select Apply to All. (You still need to save your changes.)
- Select Save Changes to save your settings. (Select < Back to go back to the Preferences page.)