Installing the AccelScan Scanning Software on Windows Computers
Who can do this with default capabilities?
District Administrators, District Staff, School Administrators,School Staff, Teachers
One way to score paper assignments for Accelerated Math 2.0 is to have students fill in their answers on scan cards and scan them using the AccelScan scanner, which is available from Renaissance Learning.
If you plan to use AccelScan for scoring, you must download and install the AccelScan Scanning Software on any computer that has an AccelScan scanner connected. When the software is installed, both teachers and students can scan cards for scoring. Follow the steps below to install the software on Windows computers:
- Make sure you are logged into the computer with the rights or permissions required to install software for all users. If you do not know whether you have those rights at the computer, or if you don't have those rights, contact your school's technology/computer coordinator.
- On the Home page, select Other Math & Reading Apps.
- On the Other Math & Reading Apps page, select Product Administration, then Download Supporting Software.
- On the next page, select Downloads on the left side or the top of the page.
- When the Downloads page opens, first note the server name or IP address; then, under Renaissance Place Downloads, select AccelScan on the Windows tab (circled in the graphic above). Save the file to your computer or network.
- Find the AccelScanInstaller1.43Win.exe file that you downloaded. Double-click the file to start installation.
- When you see the AccelScan Scanning Software Setup Welcome panel, click Next >.
- The Choose Destination Location panel will show you where the software will be installed.
If the default location is acceptable, click Next >.
If not, click Browse, open the folder on your computer's hard drive where you want to install the software, and click OK. Then, click Next > in the wizard.
- When installation is finished, the program will notify you. If you want to start the program right away, check the Select to launch AccelScan box. On the AccelScan panel, click Finish to complete the installation.
- If you did not automatically launch the program, you can start it by double-clicking the AccelScan icon in the folder that opens, or you can click Start All Programs AccelScan Scanning Software AccelScan.
- When you start the program for the first time, the Server Settings dialog box will appear.
Enter the server name or IP address that was on the page where you downloaded the program. (If you are connecting to a secure server, enter the server name, not the IP address.) If you are not sure what to enter, ask your server administrator.
When the AccelScan software attempts to communicate with your server, the Timeout value determines how many minutes it will attempt to communicate before notifying you of a problem if communication isn't possible. Enter the value you prefer.
Check the Enable Server Ping box if you would like the AccelScan software to be able to check every 5 minutes to make sure it can still communicate with the server. If you have a slow connection to the server, this setting is not recommended.
When you have finished, click OK.
If the Server Settings window doesn't open, but you want to check the address, you can open it by clicking the Edit menu and selecting Server Settings.
- Enter the user name and password that you use to log in to Renaissance software. Then, click Log In. To use the AccelScan Scanning Software, you must be an Accelerated Math user who has the right to score assignments.
- The program will search for the AccelScan Scanner that is connected to this computer. When the scanner is ready, you will see the Ready to Scan message, and the screen will ask you to insert a card into the scanner.
If the program cannot find the scanner, it will notify you that the scanner was not found and that there were problems communicating with the scanner. If this happens, follow these steps:
- Make sure the scanner is on; then, click Scanner Settings.
- Check the port and the status. If the wrong port is shown, select the port where the AccelScan is connected. Once the AccelScan has been detected, the dialog box will show a picture of the scanner, and the Status will show the model number.
- If you wish, you can also change the scanner's sensitivity to marks on the cards by clicking on the arrow and moving it to a less sensitive or more sensitive setting.
- Notice that the scanner settings also include a box labeled Allow Background Scanning; if this box is checked, you can use the scanner with the software even when the software is in the background on your computer.
- When you have finished, click OK.
Notice the Teacher Mode icon on the AccelScan screen.
Teachers should scan in Teacher Mode so that they have access to all program settings.
When your students are doing their own scanning, click the Student Mode button to prevent access to program settings.
To switch back to Teacher Mode, choose the File menu, select Student Mode, and enter your user name and password.